Submitted in response to written requests from the Inquiry, usually providing lists of questions to be answered. In most cases these formed the basis of questioning in public sessions, but in some cases they were read into the record (or taken as read) and the witness did not appear in person.
Given by witnesses invited by the Inquiry, normally after they have made written statements. These sessions could be viewed live online and sometimes on television news services, and the video recordings are part of the archive. The statements were usually released to the public after the public sessions.
Former Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service, Akers joined the force in 1976 and retired at the end of 2012, having led Operation Weeting, investigating the News International phone-hacking scandal, and the related Operations Elveden and Tuleta, respectively investigating inappropriate payments to police officers and other public officials and computer hacking. Akers was awarded the Queen's Police Medal in 2007 and appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2013 Birthday Honours for services to policing.
Journalist and former newspaper editor. CEO of News International from 2009 to 2011, having previously been the youngest editor of a British national newspaper (at the News of the World from 2000 to 2003) and the first female editor of The Sun (from 2003 to 2009). Brooks was a prominent figure in the News International phone-hacking scandal, having been editor of the News of the World when illegal phone-hacking was carried out. Following a criminal trial in 2014, she was cleared of all charges by a jury at the Old Bailey, which accepted her defence that she had no knowledge of the illegal acts carried out at the newspaper she edited.
Former journalist and founder of PR company Max Clifford Associates, which dealt with protecting the public image of famous stars and events. He had been the victim of phone-hacking by the News of the World along with several of his clients. In 2014, Clifford was found guilty of eight counts of indecent assault on four girls and women aged between 15 and 19. He died on 10 December 2017.
Actor, comedian, victim of phone hacking by the News of the World and a leading figure in legal actions against the newspaper. He told the Leveson Inquiry that "lurid" details of his private life appeared in the News of the World after he was set up by that paper's former editor. Coogan gave extensive evidence of intrusive stalking and photographing by the Daily Mirror and Sunday Times. He said he had witnessed journalists rummaging through his rubbish bins. He had also been the victim of several kiss-and-tell stories and detailed how the women in question had been fooled and sometimes bribed into giving stories. At the heart of the problem, he thought, was the lack of accountability on the part of the editors and owners.
Edmondson was news editor at the News of the World at the time of the Inquiry and answered questions on practices of phone-hacking and surveillance at that paper. In April 2011 he was arrested by the Metropolitan Police as part of Operation Weeting, which investigated phone hacking, and subsequently sentenced to seven months in prison for conspiring to intercept voicemail messages.
Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards between 1999 and 2002, Filkin later led an inquiry published in 2012 relating to the News International phone-hacking scandal to "recommend changes to links between the police and the media, including how to extend transparency". She answered questions on her work at the Leveson Inquiry. She was appointed CBE in the 2014 Birthday Honours.
British journalist who worked for the News of the World for 21 years before being dismissed in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal in 2011. Thurlbeck was arrested as part of Operation Weeting and was subsequently sacked by News International. He later sued for unfair dismissal and settled the case in court. His memoir, Tabloid Secrets: The Stories Behind the Headlines at the World's Most Famous Newspaper, was published in May 2015.
Journalist and editor on a variety of titles. In 2003, he became Deputy Editor of the News of the World and four years later was appointed Executive Editor of the paper, a role he fulfilled until his resignation in 2009. Wallis was arrested by the Metropolitan Police investigating the News of the World phone-hacking scandal in July 2011 as part of Operation Weeting. In 2015, a jury unanimously cleared him of all charges brought against him.
Detective Chief Inspector at New Scotland Yard. Macdonald was involved in Operation Weeting, the police investigation into allegations of phone hacking at the News of the World. His evidence related directly to the progression of the hacking of murdered schoolgirl Millie Dowler’s voicemail and in particular how and whether voicemails had been deleted.